You can recycle plastic Tupperware storage containers through most recycling programs, including curbside. Most Tupperware containers are made of food-safe and heat-resistant plastic called Polypropylene (#5). Recycle with the lid on, and wash the container thoroughly beforehand.
*Requires preparation before recycling
Please note: Recycling guidelines may vary depending on local regulations and facilities. The information provided here is intended as a general guide and may not apply to your specific location or item. Always check with your local recycling center or municipal authority for the most accurate and up-to-date recycling information in your area.
Typical RIC Symbols Used
The PP #5 plastic resin is the most prevalent in the production of Tupperware containers. It is recyclable, food-safe, and heat-resistant. Sadly it has a very low recycling rate, but the tides are slowly turning. The symbol is usually located at the bottom of the container.
LDPE #4 is also used in the production of Tupperware but not at the same frequency. You’ll most likely come across it in the form of Tupperware lids. The LDPE recycling symbol is usually located at the bottom of the Tupperware lid.
Where To Recycle
1) Use Recycling Locators: Locate PP, LDPE, or Tupperware specialized recycling programs near you using RecycleNation & Earth911 (US) or RecycleNow (UK). Search based on the RIC symbol/s and the item name.
2) Recycle At Walmart: Visit a local Walmart community recycling hub and put your Tupperware in the recycling bin labeled “Rigid Plastic/Food Packaging“.
3) Donate: Give your old Tupperware to someone in need. Community centers, homeless shelters, and animal rescue groups could really use them.
Ways To Reduce Tupperware Waste
To prevent plastic Tupperware containers from going into landfills, you can always upcycle or repurpose them. Since they are usually very rigid, food-safe, and waterproof, you can utilize them as:
- Storage space for other non-food items.
- Feeding bowl for animals and pets.
- Makeshift flower pots.
- Nuts & Seeds storage containers.